Veteran's Benefits

Veteran's Benefits

There are numerous education and training benefits available to Veterans and Service Members at ýƵ. Some may find that they are eligible for more than one benefit, or that one program is more suited to certain education and training goals than another.

In addition, spouses and family members may also be eligible for education and training assistance. In fact, 25% of those benefiting from Veterans Affairs (VA) education programs are non-Veterans. 

Learn about these and other education and VA-administered training programs by browsing the resources below.

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® Active Duty/Veterans

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (also known as Chapter 33 benefits) began on August 1, 2009. Eligibility may be established using active duty service performed on or after September 11, 2001. You may apply online by visiting or in person at the Office of Veteran Affairs on campus.

For more information on the new GI Bill®, please visit or .

Please be advised of the following:

  • Students who have elected to apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33) at the Veteran Center on campus will require a copy of the COE (Certificate of Eligibility), DD214 (Member 4 form), and/or VA form 22-1990. This will be necessary in order to process your future awards. It is suggested that those documents be turned in when you are submitting your VA certification request.
  • All Post 9/11 GI Bill® recipients registering for classes must complete a VA deferment (promissory note) at our office every semester. This is important so that your classes will not be dropped on the tuition and fee payment due dates.
  • If you are called to active duty you will need to contact this Office as well as the Business Office of your status. A copy of your military orders will be necessary to process your withdrawal properly.

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty/Veterans

Eligible service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, the length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. 

Veterans who left active duty before January 1, 2013, will have 10 years to use their Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) benefits, but the length of service can alter that time span. Veterans who left active duty on or after January 1, 2013, will not have a limit on when they can use their 36 months. 

VA pays veterans a monthly stipend. Students must submit a monthly certification of attendance.

For more information, visit the .

Chapter 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance GI Bill®

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance GI Bill® Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training. 

If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency,, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Dependents may receive payments by Direct Deposit. Students wishing to do so may contact the VA Education call center at 1-800-827-1000. You will need to provide your routing number, account number, and account type.

You must be the child, under legal guardianship, or the spouse of a veteran with the following criteria:

  • The veteran is/was deceased while on active duty
  • The veteran has a 100% service-connected disability
  • Please Note: The determination/eligibility of this benefit is made by the VA.

Period of Eligibility
You must be between the ages of 18 and 26 if you are a descendant and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the Armed Forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday, there are some exceptions.

For more information, see the .

Chapter 33, Post-9/11 Transfer of Education Benefit (TEB)

Eligibility to transfer benefits to a spouse or dependents is based on length of service and retirement eligibility date. Only active service persons can transfer entitlement. See the for full details.

Transferring benefits is a two-step process. The service member must apply with the Department of Defense (DoD) for approval to transfer the benefits when on active duty service.
Once DoD approval is received, the spouse or child applies through the to complete the transfer.

Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® Fry Scholarships

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarships) pays eligible dependents up to 36 months of the full, 100% level, of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This includes the tuition and fee payment, a monthly housing allowance, and a books and supplies stipend. 

For more information on payment rates, see the . The Fry Scholarship is available for children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. For more information, see the .  

To apply, take these steps depending on your situation:

  • Make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training. Please visit our for help in choosing a school.
  • To apply, obtain and complete , Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits. Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the state where you will advance your education and training. If you are a son or daughter, under the legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application. You may have to make an irrevocable election between the Fry Scholarship and the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance program to receive benefits. 
  • If you have started your educational program, take your application to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, and send both forms to VA. They can submit an Enrollment Certification electronically using VA-ONCE. (Note: Schools must contact their VA representative to receive this form.)

VA Work-Study Program

This is a tax-free employment program through the VA. You must be enrolled at least 3/4-time and be receiving VA educational benefits. The following offices employ VA work-study. Please inquire directly with that office to see if they have a current need for student workers and have an updated resume.